Figure 4 TOUGH-BLK 20
TOUGH AND DURABLE
A strong material with industry-leading environmental stability. Parts feature an exceptional surface finish, high precision, durability and long-term stability for fast high performance prototyping and production.
Superior surface finish and long-term environmental stability
Figure 4 TOUGH-BLK 20 is a strong black plastic simulating injection molded ABS, with long-term environmental stability for fast high performance prototyping and production applications where lifecycle stability is critical and mechanical properties fit. With production-grade indoor and outdoor environmental stability, mechanical properties, color, opacity, dimensions will not change over time with exposure to daylight. This material provides high precision, smooth surface finish and exceptional sidewall quality with minimal finishing.
- Rapid design iteration
- Strong functional parts for:
- Automotive styling parts
- Consumer electronics components
- Legacy replacement parts
- Form, fit and function testing
- Durable assemblies and snap fits
- Bezels, knobs, brackets, covers, cases
- Master patterns for RTV/silicone molding
- Short-run manufacturing of rigid parts
- Reliable and robust functional prototypes
- Improved environmental stability of mechanical and performance properties over time
- High precision and exceptional part quality with smooth surfaces and sidewalls
- Beautiful black parts with the look and feel of injection molded ABS
- Long-term indoor and outdoor UV stability (1+ years)
- Durable and strong
- Excellent humidity/moisture resistance
- Simulating some properties of molded black ABS
Key Material Properties
The full suite of mechanical properties are given per ASTM and ISO standards where applicable. All parts are conditioned per ASTM recommended standards for a minimum of 40 hours at 23 °C, 50% RH. Material properties include physical and mechanical properties, as well as thermal.
Key Mechanical Properties
- Tensile Strength, Ultimate: 40 MPa
- Elongation at break: 36%
- Flexural modulus: 1650 MPa
- Impact strength (notched Izod): 27 J/m
- Heat Deflection Temperature @ 0.45 MPa: 55 °C
Figure 4 technology prints parts that are isotropic in mechanical properties meaning the parts printed along either the XYZ axis will give similar results. Parts do not need to be oriented to get the highest mechanical properties, further improving the degree of freedom for part orientation for mechanical properties.
Long term environmental stability
Figure 4 TOUGH-BLK 20 is engineered to give long term environmental UV and humidity stability. This means the material is tested for the ability to retain a high percent of the initial mechanical properties over a given period of time. This provides real design conditions to consider for the application or part.
Below is a sampling of the dataset. The full datasheet includes Indoor and Outdoor Stability data for Tensile Strength, Elongation at Break, Tensile Modulus and Impact Strength. Actual data value is on Y-axis, and data points are % of initial value.
Tested per ASTM D4329 standard method.
Tested per ASTM G1554 standard method.
Chemical and automotive fluid compatibility
The compatibility of a material with hydrocarbons and cleaning chemicals is critical to part application. Figure 4 TOUGH-BLK 20 parts were tested for sealed and surface contact compatibility per ASTM D543 test conditions and per USCAR2 test conditions. Tensile Strength (MPa) is shown below. The full datasheet includes additional data tables for Tensile Modulus, Elongation at Break and Notched Impact Strength.