Software from ParaMatters CogniCAD!
Superior generative design for maximum productivity.
ParaMatters is the industry's most comprehensive and advanced generative design software solution that offers best-in-class AI-based topology optimization for manufacturing products from virtually any material.
CogniCAD is a combination of superior topology optimization techniques, high-performance cloud computing, computational geometry and artificial intelligence.
How did it work to this day?
Topology optimization is a numerical method for the optimal distribution of material in a given space. This method was widely used in commercial products at the end of the 90s and since then has practically not developed. Most of the topology optimization solutions available today are used as a hint for an optimal structure. With this prompt, the user must manually adjust the parameters and recreate the design manually using additional modeling tools, since the original model can often not be used directly.
What is the problem with this process?
A manually recreated structure is only an approximation to an optimal design. Therefore, iterative refinement of the model is often required. Manual modeling, analysis and improvements are tedious and usually take days or even weeks of a highly qualified engineer, depending on the complexity of the model. In other words, current decisions are not enough.
How does it work with CogniCAD from ParaMatters?
CogniCAD is completely changing the design and manufacturing process. It has never been easier and faster to create high-quality, optimal designs ready for production.
ParaMatters proprietary technology delivers high performance and design quality fully automatically without manual interruption. Generated projects meet all design requirements and are supported by FiniteElements validation. As a result, the design time is sharply reduced from days / weeks to hours, and the quality of the created projects exceeds what can be achieved manually. The resulting model is ready for production. Project output is available as an STL model for Additive Manufacturing and as a STEP model that is independent of any CAD system.
Check this out by following the brief case study in the next section.
How does the CogniCAD design process work?
- The first step is to sketch the accessible design area. You can use any CAD package of your choice.
- After the assembly is imported into CogniCAD, the second step is to configure the design problem. Please make sure you use Chrome, Safari or Edge as your browser.
The CogniCAD GUI is designed as an intuitive step-by-step workflow that guides the user through the installation process to minimize possible errors and virtually eliminate the learning curve. Please follow the instructions, which includes six steps:
1) Select the desired material properties from the available material library. Material properties can be edited.
2-3) The next two steps are to determine the subject area and non-constructive function. You can simply click on the object in the graphical interface or on the left side of the tree.
4) The next step is to determine the loading conditions.
This is done similarly to a typical finite element workflow — determining boundary conditions (BC) and loads. In case the loading conditions are unknown, but the user still wants a reliable and organic design, the CogniCAD AI engine can help determine the loading conditions.
5) The next step is to define the design goals. We allow several typical design settings:
The study of generative design is a standard design setting that allows you to find the most rigid structure (minimum compliance) with a volume fraction of material.
A lightweight generative design for engineering applications is a complex engineering scheme in which the user can find the lightest design under realistic technical constraints, such as stress, stiffness, deformation, and natural frequency (expected soon).
6) The last step is to determine production constraints (additive manufacturing or investment casting), finite element resolution (low, medium or high) and speed.
In the design process, you can observe progress.
After completing the design process, the optimized model can be opened and viewed. The original model may be hidden. Finite element analysis of the optimized part reveals strain and stress, including motion simulation. In addition, CogniCAD offers optimal assembly orientation based on minimizing unsupported surfaces or minimizing footprint.
Projects can be downloaded either from the graphical user interface or from the designers' office:
- STL (independent of any 3D printing press) oriented in: (a) the original coordinate system (b) by minimizing unsupported surfaces (c) by minimizing the volume of supports
- The STEP model (independent of any CAD) is oriented in its original orientation.
CogniCAD from ParaMatters is:
- Completely autonomous generating platform for design and modeling, which optimizes the most time-consuming stages of the digital workflow from design to production
- Provides best-in-class weight and performance improvements in a short amount of time with pre-built designs
- Intuitive public / private cloud workflow and user interface
- The only CAD-to-CAD vendor-independent generative design software on the market
- Industry-leading design accuracy with high fidelity, delivering unprecedented resolution (10–60 million elements)
- The industry’s most reliable features, allowing engineers to solve the most complex engineering challenges
- Cloud-based cognitive design platform. CogniCAD is a new way to automatically create high-performance and lightweight structures ready for additive manufacturing and investment casting.
The process is very simple, intuitive and involves only three steps:
- Sketch your design domain and import it into CogniCAD;
- Define loading conditions and design goals;
- Launch CogniCAD, upload your design and send it directly to production.